Thursday 31 January 2008

"Oh my tooth-fairy!"

Have you ever counted how many times you'll hear the phrase "Oh my God!" in a day?

I haven't. I'm not going to either. However, I have started to notice that it's used a lot, as is "Jesus!" (Jeeeezus!!)

Since coming to Faith, I've made a conscious effort not to take God's name in vain or use it as a curse. Why? Because it's disrespectful, dishonourable, disobedient and rude. It's like saying "Oh my (Insert Parent Name)!" only worse.

So, as I've used it less, I've begun to notice how many times I hear it said. Its like giving up smoking, as soon as you quit, you notice the smell - on clothes, in furniture etc. I've listened and noticed who says it. Those who believe in God don't tend to, its more commonly used by those who don't. At which point it can't have any meaning, surely? I mean, what's the point? It would be like saying, "Oh my tooth-fairy!", or "Santa!" ("Saaaantaa!") (Assuming you don't believe in either of these things of course.)

I'm not being judgemental, I'm just curious. Why do people who don't believe in God use His name so often as an expletive?

And the next time any of you Christian's out there allow something to come out of your mouth that you shouldn't (cos we all do - and I'm sadly too good at it), let something come out that's just as comparably ridiculous..."Oh my tooth-fairy!"

No comments: