Thursday 24 January 2008

'Do-Gooder' is a swear word

I was sitting in church on Sunday listening to our Vicar preach, and then I stopped listening...

Sorry Will, it wasn't intentional, but my mind wandered to this, "'do-gooder' is a swear word!"

In the last two weeks, our church has started to study 1 Corinthians. We were being read through these verses when it hit me, "The man without the Spirit does not accept the things that come from the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him, and he cannot understand them, because they are spritually discerned. The spritual man makes judgements about all things, but he himself is not subject to any man's judgement. 'For who has known the mind of the Lord that he may instruct him?' But we have the mind of Christ"

Now, this might be obvious to experienced and mature Christians, but I'm not one. You can't explain the Kingdom of God to those who don't believe in it. Simple. It was at this point my minor revelation came - 'Do-Gooder' is a swear word. Of course it is.

Those who aren't, use it towards those who are (carers etc). It denies those who aren't, any feelings of guilt for not being so and enables them to make those who are doing good sound like they are doing bad. How twisted is that? Which colour
white is black?

I put my hands up now and apologise. I know its a swear word because I've used it as such. I may not have coined it, but I've used it as a taunt, jeering at those who are trying to give help and support to others when I was too stupid and selfish to do anything but think about myself.

Having Faith and becoming a Christian has made me look at this differently. It couldn't have happened otherwise. Thank you God for my Faith and my change of heart.

To those who commit themselves to love and care for others; in times when you are persecuted for your deeds, remember the passage above and be comforted by it.


No comments: