Sunday 10 February 2008

Where am I?

I must be missing something.

I've been to a number of churches in the past two and a half years and I find that there's very few people like me. There are plenty of new Christians, there are many children, there are lots of "young people", there are lots of parents, there are... my list continues. And I love the fact that the Church has a young, exuberant, passionate populace but I keep looking for the late 20s, early 30s group who don't have kids.

Where are they? Its like the church has a "lost generation" - a missing demographic. But I know I exist and I know that there are plenty of people of my age and similar circumstances, they just don't seem to go to church.

Do they even need church? Why aren't they there? Where do they go? Do they have Faith but don't like the traditional forms that church has taken? What are they doing instead.

I'm part of a new social group. If I was my grandfather I would have been married, settled into a lifelong career, owned a house, have had children by now and my wife would not have worked. For my parents generation it was very similar, only they both worked. But what for us? "Partners" in opposition to marriage or marrying later. Being older and older before buying a house. Divorce. Equality in the workplace. Competition in the workplace from international workers. The likelihood of more than one career in a lifetime. No pensions. The degradation of community.

Western church attendance has reflected social change, generation after generation.

Are they missing something? I think so.

I'd like to be wrong, but whatever, I miss them.

I'll keep looking.

No comments: