Monday 19 May 2008

A leap of faith

A couple of weeks ago I went away on a "Mens' Weekend" with my church. It wasn't just for men within the church, but more of a get away for men from The Point and their male freinds.

It was a truly great time. An opportunity to build new relationships and create stronger bonds in current ones. I had gone with an open mind, knowing what the structure of the weekend was going to be, but I didn't really have any idea what might happen or how it might affect me.

We arrived and pitched our tents late on the Friday afternoon. One of the four teams we were grouped into prepared dinner and a fire was lit. Our first evening together was spent around the campfire listening to the personal testimony given by one of our congregation about his recent faith journey, followed by a campfire sing-a-long of some quality tunes.


Breakfast the next morning was prepared by another team and we were given a scriptural thought for the day to carry with us. My team's first activity was climbing. We were taught that the day would be about personal challenges, where we set the goals and the boundaries. Now I know I'm not Spiderman, but I soon discovered that my friends Paul, Jeremy and Chris, are. Straight to the top on all three sides of the tower - well done lads. For me, I figured that if I climbed higher than the dorma window of my house I'd be doing well. Not only did I manage this but I also fell off twice, which included a good swing round the side of the tower itself, culminating in a bruised and banged elbow. Following my injury and the fright that came with it, that was as far as I made it, but I was determined not to let my fear of falling ruin the rest of my day.
The next activity was archery - great fun and a lot more sucessful for me personally. The only "competitive" activity of the day in which I believe our team came second and amazingly I still managed to leave the activity with a bruised arm! At lunch a few of us took a detour from the planned activity and went off the beaten track to find somewhere local where the Man U v Chelsea match was being played. With a number of supporters of both teams present on site there was a good deal of friendly rivalry - with both looking forward to a win! Sadly the detour became an adventure of its own - six pubs and 95% of the first half later, Andy and I finally managed to find a bar showing the match. Evidently football's not a popular sport in deepest West Sussex. It was time well spent getting to know Andy better, but sadly Chelsea on home turf won the day - we had little desire to return to the grinning faces of the Chelsea fans.

We returned in time for the last activity of the day and for my team the High Ropes. I have a fear of... I'm not sure what the fear is exactly, but I don't like climbing above a certain height. Now the High Ropes are just that. The first, about 9 feet above the ground was a round wooden beam - the objective; to walk across from one end to the other, then return to the middle, stand on one leg and be lowered down. This is an entirely safe activity, as with the Climbing, each participant is roped and secured with another two teammates feeding more or less rope as necessary, both ready to lower the climber if necessary. If you fall, the worst thing that can happen is that you swing in the air and perhaps bang into something. Jeremy, "The Human Fly", went first and demonstrated just how easy it was. When my time came, I found it a struggle, but with the encouragement of my friends I made it across, back to the middle, stood on one leg and came down. The next step was twice the height. Again, a beam between two trees, but after the ladder were a series of rungs hammered into the tree to climb up. At the top of the ladder I froze. Even the encouragement of my friends wasn't enough. Then the instructor started, "Our father..." As I continued The Lord's Prayer (out loud), I took a step per line and made it up the rungs and across the beam to the other side - all the time, my body tingling with nerves, but my focus aimed firmly at my destination. Then it was time to come down. This time, we had to lower ourselves onto the beam, straddle it and hang under the beam before being lowered. I made it back out to the middle of the beam and froze again. This time I just didn't know how to lower myself to the straddling position, without either falling, or causing myself intense pain and damage! Yet my team wouldn't let me come down in any other way, so I had to do it. So I dropped, arms and chest down... It happened so quickly I don't quite know how it happened, but the next thing I knew, I was hanging like a sloth, underneath the beam. I'd dropped and turned in one swift, slik motion - to a round of applause! I was chuffed and exhilarated. Then I was encouraged to let go with my arms and hang by just my legs. I managed that too - and it was much easier than I thought. In fact, I hung for what seemed like ages while Simon came back and took a picture. Once more safely on the ground, the hardest challenge of my day was yet to come.

The "Leap of Faith". A different task, a platform 30 feet up, 20+ feet worth of rungs in the tree above the ladder to reach it and then a jump. A jump to a trapeze suspended in mid-air. I waited until last, determined to do it. After my fall on the Climbling Tower, we'd walked back and watched some of our friends attempt this and I'd made it my complete personal challenge of the day to climb to the top and make the day. Also I'd discovered that my friend Rich (who also has a great fear of heights) had done it and this made me even more determined. Having manned the ropes for everyone else, they finally roped me up and I set to the ladder. I was the last man of the day and by this time, some of the other groups had finished and had gathered with us, so there was an even bigger crowd, yet the pressure I felt was from myself; I only felt even more encouraged by the presence and support of the others. Still, I was afraid. No-one had fallen, even slipped and none of my team had missed their jump. So I climbed and as I climbed I remembered that with God, we are always safe and He had helped me through the last one, so I knew he'd help me make it through this. As I climbed each step, the words of Matt Redman's song, "You never let go of me," ran through my head and I vocalised each one silently. Very, quickly, with no pausing, I was at the top and standing on the platform. My heart was pounding, but my legs were firm and I was ready - I needed to jump now! I asked for the trapeze to be moved toward me (I'm only a short guy!) and they counted me down. 10, 9, 8.. and I jumped! I caught the trapeze and hung there, while my friends applauded and cheered. I was elated and excited. I'd achieved my goal and was lowered to the ground. Everyone who did the High Ropes activity made the Leap of Faith.


The remainder of the day consisted of a huge-a-side game of footy, a great barbecue and a talk about Jesus from Will by the campfire. We shared stories of our adventures, the challenges, the achievements and the pains we'd gone through to get there.
It was a great weekend and I experienced a lot. The events challenged me in unexpected ways. For example, when I gave my testimony to the group on the Friday night (yes, it was me, a surprise and last minute gift from my pastor) I had to think about my audience. I don't usually struggle with public speaking, but I was aware that I had a mixed group, of Christians and non-Christians. I wanted to convey the message that God had changed my life (& how) simply and without scaring anyone away (Spirituality and the whole "God-thing" used to make me run a mile). I hope I succeeded. Additionally, I was encouraged to recognise fear in my life and to confront and overcome it - this was a really important step for me. Prior to going, I didn't even completely know it was there but now I know I do, I've got to do something about it and look for other fears to overcome as well. I made new friendships and strengthened existing ones. I experienced encouragement and support in many different ways from people I know and people I don't. We shared with one another and we were open with one another, exposing our vulnerabilities and allowing and trusting others to help; it was a true experience of fellowship. But even more than this, I came to know God just a little bit more and trust Him to help me overcome my fears. The scriptural thought for the day on the Sunday after breakfast summed this up well for me: Ecclesiastes 4:9-12 Two are better than one, because they have a good return for their work:

If one falls down, his friend can help him up.
But pity the man who falls
and has no one to help him up!

Also, if two lie down together, they will keep warm.
But how can one keep warm alone?

Though one may be overpowered,
two can defend themselves.
A cord of three strands is not quickly broken.

Everyone needs someone else to help them a long. And here, the third cord includes God. I know that the friends of mine who don't normally come to church had a good time. I hope that everyone did. For those that came who don't know God in their lives I hope that in some way they were able to see how He is involved in ours.


PS My thanks again to Trevor and those who organised sucha a great event.

No comments: