Saturday 24 May 2008

2 Boldly Go

I want everyone I know to be saved. Actually I want everyone to be saved.

I've not been open enough about this.


Since my conversion, coming to Faith and choosing to
walk with Jesus, my life has been transformed. I am being transformed, I view life differently and I do life differently: I don't suffer stress in the same way; I don't care for material goods as I used to; I take life at a slower pace, allowing myself time to take in the meaning of actions and occurrences; I'm not as self-concerned and I care more about others, especially those who have less than me. I care more about what I need than what I want or would like. I no longer chase things that have no substance and I no longer shy away as much from those things I am fearful of.

I make no pretence. I'm far from perfect and I'm still the person I was before, but the choices I make are made with a different attitude. I want to make decisions based in love, not selfishness. The new version of me
is still sinful and makes mistakes but it feels like an improved version, as if the good bits are more visible and have been enhanced and that I chose to lose the bad bits and control them. Basically I've come to know a different way of living and I've chosen to try and live it.

What's brought about this change is the effect of Jesus' love and the indwelling Holy Spirit in my life. I know God's grace and His love for me. On an everyday basis I'm happier, more peaceful, more fruitful and my life has more meaning. Deeper than these things, is the understanding I now have of Creation and the meaning of Jesus' death.

In truth, I want everyone (especially those I know and love) to experience .
The trouble is, I never really tell people this. Oh yeah, sure, I tell my friends that I go to church and I try (gently) to explain what I do as part of my church, but recently I've realised that it's not enough. Its a crazy thing, but as much as I want people to experience what I do and have what I have through my Faith in Jesus Christ, I don't want to scare them off. The difference between God's Kingdom and the World is so vast that I don't want the culture shock to be a chasm that may never be crossed.

Throughout my life I've experienced hypocrisy from churchgoers, a lack of relevancy from the church and on top of that, a desire to experience the delights of the World and a lack of understanding about what real love and real joy is. But I've realised that I shouldn't let my own experiences cloud my judgment, after all I'm not going to convert anyone - only God can do that. All I can do is ask Him, through prayer, and trust in Him and His Will. If He wants me to preach the Good News in word and deed, then that's something I'll gladly do.

In St Paul's letter to the Ephesians (Eph 6:19-20) he asks for prayer to speak the good news fearlessly, or boldly. It was so important to him that he asks TWICE. It is that important.

So I too pray that this is what God wants me to do and I pray that I will go boldly....

1 comment:

Andy Reid said...

Sharing your faith fearlessly is an interesting thing! Firstly, I would suggest to you that you are already doing it...more than you know! It is so easy to lose sight of the good stuff we are doing because of our awareness of those things we aren't! Take heart! know you, I see you sharing Jesus in so many ways - gently, thoughtfully, but clearly!

Sharing your faith fearlessly is also a bit like climbing a ladder! It is possible to climb a ladder naively, recklessly, dangerously! In the same way it is possible to climb a ladder well, with courage, safety and knowledge of the importance of doing it well.

Your attitude, if you continue in it will enable you to do both WELL! Keep doing what you are doing with thought, consideration and most of all... LOVE! Love for others and love for yourself!

Bless you brother!