Saturday 8 December 2007

The Spirit(s) of Christmas

I feel a bit like Ebeneezer Scrooge. The Spirits of Christmas, Scrooge’s Ghosts, have recently visited me, and given me a new understanding of what Christmas Spirit really is. As a result, what I think about what Christmas really means and what I do at Christmas is changing.

I’ve always held mixed feelings about what I do at Christmas – the season of goodwill and being all things to all men always ends up causing stress, discomfort and unhappiness. The exact opposite of what I feel Christmas is supposed to be about.

There are so many things that I want to do, like buying presents or spending time with everyone I know. I’ve always felt that this was what Christmas is, that these things will make me, and those I love, happier over the festive period. I try to do so much that I end up tying myself in knots – like Marley’s chains.

This year I feel different, I’ve had my eyes opened. This is what the Spirits of Christmas have shown me this year.

No comments: