Saturday 8 December 2007

The Spirit of Christmas Future – Christmas Presence

So I plan to change my present – with presence. I will buy gifts for people, it’s still nice and there might be some things that they really do need, but…

I’m going to show people more love. The most precious commodity we own is our time and love is a present that can be given freely. I’m going to show people more care and attention. I’m going to give my presence. I’m going to listen to people more and find out what their needs are. I’m also going to step outside the close friends and family I usually give to and give to some people who are in far greater need than I am. I’m going to be present in their lives if they want. But I’m not going to rush from place to place this year, quality not quantity.

And love is a gift that can keep on giving - I’m not going to stop once the trees and the fairy lights come down – I’m going to keep it going – and next Christmas, it’ll be another opportunity to celebrate why.

If anyone wants to give me a gift, show someone else some love. I don’t believe that you have to be a Christian or indeed subscribe to any other religion to do that. Show someone else that you care, a little bit more than you’ve done before. Maybe even show some love to someone you don’t know

And if you see a cheerleader that needs saving… well you never know!

3 comments:

Phil said...

So I'm not getting my Ferrari then....

Anonymous said...

The Children's Society seem to agree - http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/7147733.stm - 64% of people surveyed thought Christmas had become too commerical

Anonymous said...

Time and love are precious commodities, that much is true but my own survival instinct tells me that I am better off focusing my energies on more prosperous activities such as my career.

Saying that, my lack of time is not a lack of love. I give all the time I can afford and all the love I have to give. I can't do any more than that.